find your perfect community08.03.23
- How to Mastodon /
- Guide /
population ~ 6.466.240 accounts
active users ~ 4.213.494people
servers > 12.573 instances
Mastodon is the largest federating social network. You'll find everything you want of a microblogging platform, and much more. There are numerous Mastodon servers (called "instances") created specifically for certain communities and dedicated to various interests, spheres of knowledge, regions and activities.
- custom emojis
- pinned posts
- featured hashtags
- admin announcements
- hiding followers
- spoiler warnings
- user-level mutes and blocks
- redrafting posts
- contact lists
- image upload with focal points
- verifying external links in your profile
- filtering out unwanted content by keywords
- two-factor authentication (TOTP)
- Direct messages ("private messages") are delivered with limited visibility (non public) only between Mastodon users. Friends from other Fediverse networks may get such "direct messages" as public (visible to all) because some networks (GNU Social) don't support DMs. Keep that in mind when sharing private information via a DM.
join the network
Choose a server with open registrations and create an account:
Or use a wizard to help you pick a server from the list:SERVER WIZARD
Choose a mobile application from the available ones:
Please, keep in mind that you are a participant, not a customer. DONATE
If you'd like to help the Mastodon network grow, you can contribute in different ways.
- Donate to development team or the administrator of your server (if you have the means to do that).
- Set up your own instance, to make federation stronger and healthier, with many small servers.
- Spread the word. Invite your friends. Explain why it's important.
- Contribute with code. Send a pull request. Resolve an issue. Take a bounty.
- Help translating. Design promo materials. Print and distribute stickers.
Thank you. See you in Mastodon.